Thursday, November 22, 2007

Speaking of Giblets...Not One of My Favorite Things

My mother in-law asked once commented that she liked my stuffying and asked how I made it. I told her, first step, take the giblets and toss them... I think it is the texture I don't like. Maybe they taste fine. Anyway, I'll be thinking about all the cooks out there up early making stuffing and getting the bird ready. Ciao. Or is it chow?

MY FAVORITE THINGS
(stuff probably not on Oprah’s list)

Jeopardy is on TV at 4:30 in our area. That hour is sacred. I love to guess along, saying my answers out loud to the consternation of those who are watching with me. Sorry, but I can’t help it. I love trivia. I am competitive and I am pretty good at getting the correct answer to the final question. It is helpful to have time to think of the answer.
Anyway, this has nothing to do with Jeopardy. It is about watching a little of Oprah’s show waiting for 4:30. Yesterday was Oprah’s “Favorite Things” annual show. She shares her list of new favorite things and then gives the audience these gifts. The young women in the audience scream their adulation. I like Oprah, but am not so fond of the adulation she receives. My son Andy, remarked once about women on the edge of their seats awaiting life instructions from Oprah. She is a maven and can create best-selling books or new trends. I suppose the vendors of her favorite things are donating them to the show for the great publicity. I am not a “maven” but have my own favorite things. I also like to make lists. Here is it:

Our Osterizer blender. Gift from Jon after we were married in 1968. It has seen heavy use turning out baby food, beverages and the family recipe of knoedels and just keeps humming along.

Just My Size Minimizer bra although I may have to rethink the minimizer thing as I lose weight. Do you think they make a maximer bra? The minimizer has straps that don't stretch. No one my age wants stretchy straps. Need to fight gravity and keep those gals up there.

Dry Idea clear gel unscented deodorant. No white marks on cloths, no scent, no sweat.

Andrea Bocelli’s CD “Romanza”. Meant to be listened to with the volumn up. Bring the Kleenex. It will move you.

The chocolate raspberry cake from Bread Art Bakery in Bayport, MN. Try is and you will be sorry you don’t live here. Maybe you will be glad you don’t live here if you are counting calories.

Dannon Light ‘N Fit yogurt. Only 60 calories per 6 oz and tastes good. I prefer the raspberry or raspberry & white chocolate. Do you see a pattern here?

Laugh out loud movies: Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Blues Brothers. Sure to lighten your day.

Trader Joe’s. They built one closer to our house. Best balsamic vinegar at a good price comes from Trader Joe’s.

The beach at Fort Myers Beach, Florida. Seven miles of white sand beach waiting for us to come in December. Do the manta shuffle if you step in the water.

The lakes region in Austria. The Alps. Switzerland and Bavaria.

The greater northwest in the US and western Canada, especially Vancouver Island.

Turkey. Sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. Guess I will have to continue to make the traditional dinner because I love it tool Have a nice Thanksgiving even if you are eating lobster.

No comments: