Friday, November 9, 2007

MINNESNOWTA

We have had flurries a couple days this week. This am while I was on my walk, we had bigger flakes and a little snow sticking temporarily.

It is beautiful when it snows. We have had snow arrive later and later in recent years. Most agree if we live in a cold climate we might as well have the snow. There is no wind and lazy, big snowflakes in a calm world are gorgeous. I could live all winter without wind or ice, but hope we get some snow for the holidays. Winter doesn't have to last six months but is welcome for Christmas. My x-country skis await me.

When I was growing up my parents would tell about the Armistice Day blizzard of 1940. My dad was stuck in a house in the country for days. Because of the war climate, the weather forecast was not broadcast. My father in-law was at work when someone called his office from South Dakota warning them to go home. A nasty blizzard was coming. He did. Others were not so lucky and there was great loss of life. Many duck hunters did not have cover. The day had been warm and cattlemen lost stock who were out on the range.
Our Halloween blizzard of 1991 was worse, but we had warning. Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_Day_Blizzard

No comments: