Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ya Ya Sisterhood and Zucchini Pie


"Ya ,Ya " is an affirmation and "The Ya Ya Sisterhood", a movie/ book about sisterhood. What I did yesterday is also about sisterhood, but I have dubbed it the "Amen Sisterhood". Our churches ladies were invited to a ladies luncheon hosted by a new church in St. Croix Falls, WI. The church opened in September and is pastored by our former (retired) pastor. His wife does the women's ministry and is used by God particularly to help brokenhearted women. We miss her teaching and gentle ways and groups of us drove the 40 miles to hear her teach, see the church and enjoy the fellowship luncheon. It is good to spend time with sisters in the lord. One of the women I drove with I have known casually at church and we also worked at the same hospital. While visiting with her yesterday I asked where she had grown up. "Little Falls" was the answer. I was amazed. She is about a decade younger than I am, but we have a similar background. The greatest connection is not our hometown, but being true sisters who share our faith family. "Ya, Ya" , slang for "yes, yes" should remind us that God always says "Yes, yes" when we come to him. He will not reject anyone who seeks him. That is good to know and share.


Everyone brought a "dish to pass" yesterday. One of my car-mates brought a green Jello salad with the disclaimer, "And I was not even raised Lutheran". I fixed a zucchini Italian cresent (quiche). It is loaded with calories having a full pound of cheese in the recipe. Best to make this when I will only have a taste and not the leftovers in MY refrigerator. Many asked for the recipe. I got it over 30 yrs. ago from my sister and it is always popular. Works well for brunch.
Another thank-you to my sister who forwarded the funny veggie pictures. I have 20 more on my computer so expect the worst.



ITALIAN ZUCCHINI CRESENT PIE
*I doubled the recipe and it fits in a 9 X 13 pan

4 cups thinly sliced, unpeeled zucchini
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
½ cup butter or margarine
½ cup chopped parsley or 2 Tbsn dry parsley flakes
½ Tsp. each salt and pepper
¼ Tsp. each dried basil & oregano
2 eggs well beaten
8 oz. (2 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese
8 oz. pkg. refrigerated cresent rolls
2 Tsp. mustard

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In large skillet, sauté zucchini and onion in butter or margarine until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and seasonings. In large bowl, blend eggs and cheese. Stir in vegetable mixture.

Separate dough triangles and pat into ungreased quiche pan or 12 x 8 baking dish. Seal the seams. Spread crust with the mustard. Pour vegetable mixture evenly into crust.

Bake @ 375 for 18 to 20 minutes until knife comes out clean. Check after 10 min. If crust is too brown on edges, cover with foil for next 10 minutes. Serve hot, but leftovers are even good cold. Reheats well if covered with foil.


No comments: