Thursday, November 15, 2007

SPROUTING WITH NEW IDEAS



Last week I received my copy of "Midwest Living" magazine. I always look for new ideas and clip or copy recipies. I then file them and occasionally actually try some. I have a great collection of clippings. There was an interesting recipe for brussel sprouts. It had bacon, feta cheese, red onion and fresh thyme. My husband likes brussels sprouts and I confess the only thing I have ever done with them is boil them whole. Boring. This sounded like something I would like. In the past two days I have seen three TV cooking demonstrations with new ways to fix brussels sprouts. (Rachel Ray, Gordon Ramsey and the Today show). All the recipes were a little different. Today I read the morning paper's EAT sections. Headline: "Brussel Sprouts for Thanksgiving". They have a recipe that includes orange zest and balsamic vinegar. Think I will try one of the recipes for a pot luck I am attending Saturday. What is going on? I thought all the farmers were growing corn for ethanol. Next year they will probably all be growing hops. There is an international shortage of this beer grain due to drought in Europe and American farmers planting a lot of corn. That should send the price up. Maybe they will overplant and next year we will see recipes for fixing vegetable dishes with hops!

Be forewarned family. You are getting brussels sprouts as one of the vegetables on Thanksgiving. The consolation; it won't be in the stuffing, although that has possibilities.

1 comment:

Mary said...

mmmm. Brussel sprouts. I believe my niece Mina (your granddaughter) commented at Dad's birthday dinner that she loved brussel sprouts, so you've got at least 2 takers :)