Saturday, November 24, 2007

Operation Christmas Child











I am happy to say I didn't hit the stores yesterday to shop. My afternoon was spent in the company of a group of my cousins volunteering to pack shoebox gifts for the Operation Christmas Child project run by Franklin Graham. The twin cities are a regional receiving and distribution center for this charitable project that distributes donated (shoebox) gifts to needy children around the world. For several years my cousins, descendents of one of my favorite aunts, have volunteered together the day after Thanksgiving. They asked us to join them this year. I am so glad I did. Dan and Diane own a charter coach business and drove the whole group to the warehouse. It is an amazing experience. The huge warehouse is full of pallets of shrink- wrapped brightly wrapped gift boxes. Volunteers do an assembly line final check for inappropriate items. No weapon toys, no food that would melt or spoil. There is lots of love sent in those little boxes and many have photos of the donors smiling faces. Imagine. You can touch the lives of a child somewhere in the world who probably has nothing. Spread the joy and love. Bring God's love to them. We are the hands and feet expressing His love in the world.
In an age of overabundance and unbridled materialism, this simple gift giving is good for our hearts.
After our Thanksgiving dinner talked turned to "what do you want for Christmas?"
Isn't it amazing that you seldom can answer that question? My son Dan finally came up with the best answer I have heard in years. "Cereal", he said. We paused and looked at him. "Cereal, the kind I like is $3.50 a box." That opened a line of conversation about our favorites. I was reminded that years ago when they were little I would not buy the sugary, junk food cereal they craved. One year I acquiesced and gave wrapped Captain Crunch to them for Christmas. (not the only gift) Oh, my. A treat. Wait another year for another box. Well, we probably are going to see cereal under the tree this year and I think it will be great.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/OCC.asp?MPGID=1


My mom's family grew up during the depression. They started a family traditional called "Bushel Basket Christmas". Everyone either made a gift or gave something they owned to another. Years later the custom was revived when the extended family gathered at Christmas. My cousins I met with yesterday still do that. Jon and I are going to do it this year. Hopefully, we can rekindle the tradition. That or expect cereal.

No comments: