Saturday, July 12, 2008

Birds and the Bees and the Flowers




I put out a Hummingbird feeder a week or so ago. It is in the garden. I thought the red, yellow and orange flowers would help attract the little birds. I haven't seen any. Too much cat traffic in the yard? Too late in the season? Too much competition from neighbors who feed birds? Anyway, no hummingbirds were seen. This morning during our coffee on the deck time, I mentioned to Jon I hadn't had any little visitors yet. He went inside to refill our coffee cups. That was when I spotted a hummingbird on the flowers. He proceeded to chase a Chicadee away from the sunflower seed feeder next to the nectar feeder. That little bird is the size of a large bee and he aggressively cleared the area. He probably isn't afraid of the cats either. Will be fun to watch. If the level of the nectar drops, I'll know they are using it.
This morning I'm going to the local garden tours. I've gone other years and been impressed. My next door neighbor and I are going. I'll offer to drive, but if she insists I'll accept a ride in her new black BMW convertible.
Toodle-doo.
Jane

No comments: