Monday, July 7, 2008

Wide Eyed and Worried

Late this afternoon I had an eye exam. The Dr. dilated my pupils and gave me barely adequate disposable eyeglasses for the drive home. The office is six blocks from home and I made it okay, but was glad it wasn’t farther. I squinted, shaded my eyes, and was glad to get back indoors.

After dinner I took my evening bike ride. It’s humid and warm and cooler riding a bike than walking. My pupils were still dilated and I looked like Mr. Magoo.

A few miles from home I had an alarming thought. What if I fell, struck my head and became unconscious? Whoever happened by, would call 911. An ambulance would haul me off to the local ER, and they would find widely dilated pupils-- a sign of severe brain damage. Being unconscious I couldn’t tell them I just had an eye exam. Maybe someone working in the ER would recognize me (former co-workers). Word would get around the department it was curtains for this old nurse. Word would get around the department I wasn’t wearing a bike helmet. Tongues would wag. The old adage, “Those who don’t wear helmets don’t have anything to protect anyway” would come to minds. I’ve said that, but only about motorcyclists without helmets. My reputation would be ruined.

I cut my ride short.

No comments: