Saturday, July 5, 2008

Taking the Fifth




It's July 5th. We had a great 4th yesterday. The weather was sunny and 70's. Might not have pleased those who had beach days planned but it was a little warmer in the afternoon. I don't miss hot.


We went to dinner at a Marine on St. Croix restaurant with (daughter) Mary and Mike and then watched the fireworks in Stillwater while standing on that old bridge. It is quite a show, probably unmatched in the area. Lots of big booms. You can feel the bridge shudder when they fire multiple, large pyrotechnics. I wondered if it was such a good idea to stand on that 80 yr. old bridge with all those people and cars crossing while it vibrated. Next year I may be the one wearing a life preserver.


There was a 4th of July celebration at the historic courthouse (draped in red, white, and blue bunting) on the hill in Stillwater in the morning. A couple decades ago, some had the forsight to preserve this beautifully sited building with a gorgeous view of the town and St. Croix river valley. Yesterday was the dedication of a recently purchased Civil War canon. There was one there in 1902 that fell to disrepare years ago. Stillwater was the home of the 1st Minnesota Regiment. The first in the nation to send troops to the GAR union army in the Civil War. Most of these men were killed in the battle of Gettysburg. The canon is now in front of the Civil War memorial with it's bronze statue of the union soldier.


A local band played and politicians spoke. There was free coffee and cookies and rows of white wooden folding chairs for those who gathered. We ran into an old acquaintance who is running for state legislature. Can't miss those opportunities to campaign. We brought our own folding chairs. When Jon briefly left his to get a cup of coffee, an older gentlemen, 80-85 came up and asked if the seat was taken. (Guess I can still pick up men.) We let him sit and found him charming. I thought he must live alone. Came alone and was talkative. My favorite comment:


he pointed to two white haired octagenarian women sitting in front of us and said, "Aren't they good looking?" Got to love that spirit. Guess he figured out I was taken. As we were leaving I realized I hadn't introduced myself. I said, " My name is Jane, what is yours?" He said, " my name is Jane too." Perhaps he thought I said "Jean" and he was Gene. I'm going with that. Nice old guy and pretty good looking.


No comments: