Saturday, July 19, 2008

Inspirational Message

One of the pitfalls of being retired is the lack of urgency to do tasks. There is always tomorrow. I used to clean house on a scheduled day off. Use my time wisely. That vanishes when you are in the zone of the put-out-to-pastured. I can always do it tomorrow. My schedule can be rearranged.
Imagine my relief yesterday with the agreement between the US and Iraq for troop withdrawal. We have agreed to a "general time horizon" for withdrawal. I understand needing to not tip our hand to the enemy about our plans. Don't advertise a specific date and allow the terrorists to cause pandemonium. Former President George Herbert Walker Bush set a good example years ago when he refused to publicly disclose our troop movements in the first Gulf War. I agree. Announce your intentions but not the specifics.
The verbage of this agreement is brilliant. Can't miss. It is on the horizon. I think cleaning those lower level windows and sorting out the shelves in my laundry room will now be on my general time horizon. No guilt. No problem if I don't do that today. I am truly liberated. I might just hop on my bike and peddle off humming, "Beyond the blue horizon". I can always start a file called "Somewhere over the rainbow" for projects like cleaning the kitchen cupboards. God bless those politicians and diplomats.

No comments: