Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bourne Again Experience

We saw the third "Bourne" movie, "Bourne Ultimatum" yesterday. For a couple of weeks we had talked about seeing it some hot afternoon when we needed a diversion. We had a hard time remembering the name. Was it "Bourne Supremacy"? No, that is an old one. "Bourne Identity"? Nope again. "Bourne Intimidation"? Wrong. "Bourne Again" seemed appropriate.
Matt Damon has become a bankrollable leading man. I like that he is not associated with scandal or gossip. He is not metro-sexual in appearance. He just reminds me of a nice guy. The role he plays as the trained assassin is not an average nice guy, but in his personal life he seems ordinary.
I read all the Robert Ludlum books about Bourne years ago. After sitting through the fast paced movie I think I definitely prefer print media for this type of story. I like the mystery. The intrigue. We saw the movie on the Ultrascreen at the movieplex. It is in your face big with surround sound so loud I plugged my ears and it was still too loud. The action, and there are plenty of chase scenes, were filmed with hand held cameras, giving blurry distorted images. I thought I needed my prescription on the bifocles checked until my husband said it was out of focus.
This is not a "chick flick". I figure after sitting through it, hubby owes me for one syrupy, sappy love story movie in the future. Not that he bent my arm to see this one. I had just forgotten the frantic pace of movies like this. (Think Tom Cruise ala "Mission Impossible".) Might be better to watch the DVD if you have the remote to control the volumn.

No comments: