Thursday, August 2, 2007

Minneapolis Bridge Suddenly Collapses


There was no other news anyone in Minnesota heard yesterday except the horror of the 35 Interstate bridge collapse in Minneapolis. I was cooking supper when my husband called, "Come here. Look at this." All local stations broadcast continuously for hours into the night reminiscent of the 9/11 coverage. After a quick peek, I went to the phone to call our kids making sure they were not on that bridge. My heart goes out to those who did have family on that bridge and also those who anxiously waited to hear from loved ones whose location they did not know. Early TV news showed a school bus scrunched next to a burning 18 wheeler on a edge of a section that buckled. In the hours that followed, every angle of this was covered. I left to exercise at the gym, only to find this was the only conversation anyone could have. At 10pm I turned to the BBC international news to find the BBC spending over ten minutes talking about and showing footage of the collapse of the bridge in the US. When we are confronted with horrifying news, part of dealing with the reality is talking about it and reviewing it.

This was a heavily used bridge and many could identify with it's random collapse. Forty years ago when it was built, we lived very near to it and over the years crossed it countless times. This incident only confirms that we need to live ready to die. I don't mean that to be morbid. I just live knowing there will be an end. There is a date unknown to me that will be chiseled on my tombstone. My readiness is that I don't know how or when this life will end, but I know what comes next. We make those arrangements now. Eternal life is still a free gift accepted while we are alive by accepting what Jesus Christ has offered to us. May a gracious God comfort those who have lost family and friends on that bridge.

1 comment:

HAR said...

Went out of my way NOT to look at the pictures of this horrendous event. When I saw this, I was devastated. I can't imagine the horror those poor people felt. I am glad that your family is o.k.

What an absolutely terrifying experience.