Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Faith, Hope, and Charity


Last week the pastoral staff and their families from our church went on retreat. Our church uses a camp in Wisconsin owned by another church that rents it for church group gatherings. It has a old main lodge complete with stone fireplace, plenty of bunk space and the ambiance of a log lodge. It is a rustic setting with lakeshore and woods and three detached cabins. One of our associate pastor's wives told me the cabins have names. They are Love, Joy, and Faith. They usually stay in what they humorously dubbed "The Love Shack". It is older but cozier. I asked our associate pastor why they didn't name the third cabin "Hope" instead of "Joy"? I guess there is no hope.

Yesterday was my day to change the sign at church. It faces a busy highway and is used as an opportunity to reach people driving by with an inspirational message. We had windy, stormy, weather last week and I found the F in faith had slid off the sign. So I guess there is no hope and our faith is failing, but we have plenty of love in that congregation.

No comments: