Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Riddle


What's used by Chinese, not from China, but is china? We had lunch at a Chinese restaurant today. After the meal, Jon turned his plate over and read what was written under the plate; Made by Oneida in Buffalo, NY. Can you believe it? The restaurant quality plates were decorated with a Chinese art motiff around the rim. I have been searching for a small gift for Andy's Chinese exchange student and having a hard time finding something not made in China. I finally succeeded. When I went to "wrap" the gift in a giftbag I noted the bottom of the bag was imprinted with "Made in China". We are the consumers. They are the manufacturers. I guess that is why I thought it ironic that the tableware in that Chinese restaurant looked Chinese but was made in America. It would also be funny to find out we have a factory in the US that turns out Chinese flags considering all of ours are made in you know where.

No comments: