Monday, August 20, 2007

The Rain in Des Plaines Falls Mainly on the Plane

Too bad it is pronounced "Des" not De Plane. The rain is falling mainly on the plain lately. The center of the country from Texas to Minnesota has been deluged. Des Plaines, Illinois had heavy flooding. Southeastern Minnesota had major flooding with six dead from drowning in their cars in flash floods. That is something that usually happens elsewhere. One area had 17 inches of rain in a short time. That news, following the weeks of reporting on the people drowned after our bridge collapse, has me tempted to slide a couple of life preservers under the seats in the car. I have one phobia. Drowning. When I was twelve I was rescued from drowning by a neighbor. Six years ago those old memories returned when I tried to swim through a waterfall in Jamaica (while wearing shoes)and being continually pushed down by the force of the water. I do not like to swim anymore but I was the fearless kid, always in the water, when I was young. I had a nightmare the other night about trying to swim after being on the bottom of a 12 ft. pool and taking in a big gulp of water before I reached the surface. I am glad we live on high ground and not close to a river. I am also glad we have a boat in our garage.
My heart and our prayers go out to the people who have lost their homes or loved ones in the latest floods. My sister and family survived 12 inches of rain in a day in Texas and have been watching Dean hoping it doesn't hit Texas.

1 comment:

Mary said...

It looks like Morton had it right- When it rains it pours.