Monday, August 20, 2007

More "Sqvirrel" Sightings

Last week I saw two black squirrels; one in our neighborhood and one by Sibley High School in Mendota. I hadn't seen one in years.
Twice while I was sitting on our deck last week a squirrel scurried on the deck with a whole walnut in his mouth. (Our neighbor has a walnut tree.) It probably was the same rodent both days. He tried to hide his walnut in the fake silk ficus tree on our deck. He tried digging. He tried covering it with fake leaves. The first time he gave up and left. The second time he left the nut. Strange behavior. Perhaps that was easier than digging a hole large enough to bury the almost tennis ball sized walnut.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Last week while in Hartford I saw a mug on someone's desk: The Black Squirrel. Apparently a restaurant/bar somewhere. I've seen the white squirrel on St Kate's campus a few times as well. Those squirrels there are fearless. A little too used to people I think.