Monday, December 24, 2007

Overcoming Advertisers Influence




I visited with a lady my age during the "coffee and cookies" fellowship after church yesterday. (No, I didn't have a cookie.) She talked about the holiday meals we would cook for family and both said we have stopped baking cookies in recent years. She talked about how baking something was such a "social thing" in the earlier years of her life. It was expected. When I woke up during the night tonight it occured to me how much we are influenced by Madison Avenue. For years Pillsbury had a popular jingle with it's ads; "Nothing Says Lovin' Like Something From the Oven." They also had the loveable Pillsbury doughboy. I think it was ingrained in my psyche that a good wife, mother, bakes for her family. What they don't sing about is that the baker will also eat all that stuff herself/himself and morph into the doughboy clone. I am now promoting a little less lovin' and a few more servings of vegetables. We will see how that plays at Christmas dinner tomorrow.

No comments: