Sunday, December 23, 2007

Special Special K


I have always been a list maker. This habit has not improved as I age. Now I really need to write it down. Years ago I would even construct lists of household chores I had done that day just to make myself feel like I was accomplishing something. Crazy. Maybe I left them on the frig so Jon would see I hadn't been lying on the couch all day eating bon-bons. What the heck are bon-bons anyway?


I always kept a running list of groceries/supplies needed posted on the refrigerator door. (I still do.) I had a euphemism for Kotex. I wrote "special K'. I guess I was embarrassed to have that posted for all to see. Sensitive aren't I. In all my married years I never once sent hubby to the convenience store for kotex. I bought it myself to save him embarrassment. I guess I am not so sensitive anymore because I am blogging about it....


Yesterday we went out to breakfast at our favorite greasy spoon diner. We order cooked breakfasts, but I happened to notice they had individual boxes of cereal on the shelf. On my diet for nearly a year now, I could have been ordering Total instead of eating around the egg yolks. More surprising than spotting the cereal was noting the size of the cereal boxes. They are 50% larger than the little individual boxes of cereal you buy in a six pack at the grocer. I asked our waitress if they were making them bigger recently. She said they buy them at Sam's Club that way. The box is bigger but there is still just one ounce of cereal inside. Go figure. So if you want "special" Special K you have to shop at Sam's Club or go to the River Oasis Cafe in Stillwater, MN. If you go to the River Oasis I would recommend the bacon and eggs anyway. Do glance up at the shelf with the cereal. I think it won't be there much longer. I read Walmart Corp. had given all their suppliers an edict to reduce packaging by 5% this year if they wanted to continue to sell to Walmart. (Walmart owns Sam's Club.) This would result in a huge saving for the big W. Less room taken up in storage, shipping and on the shelf. Perhaps the CEO of Walmart noticed those super-sized individual cereal boxes. On second thought, no rush to find the "super-sized little boxes". I am pretty sure none or few of the clientele at The Oasis order cereal. They come in for the hash browns, eggs, meat and good coffee. Those boxes may be there a long time.

No comments: