Friday, April 3, 2009

A Flower By Any Other Name Would Be Naricissus


Seen in today's Pioneer Press..... a quip about a contest to chose "One Man Minneapolis". They are looking for men between 24 and 44 who "represent the best of the Twin Cities based on community involvement, intelligence, personality and fitness." The article continues to encourage men in the metro who think they fit the profile to enter.

I liked the part about self nomination. I guess this is no worse than women who enter beauty pageants, but it seemed like they might have added "narcissistic" to the list of attributes describing Mr. Minneapolis. I picture hunky, bare chested body-builder guys usually seen on fund raising calendars being interested. It might be the fitness part. I usually think the guys who are volunteers and community activitists with great personalities wouldn't nominate themselves. Nominating yourself should disqualify you.
It might be my small town in central Minnesota upbringing. I have an image of a "One Man Lake Wobegon" as my dream guy. A guy who is too shy to self promote. A guy who might have a tape measure in his pocket and fix the dryer when it breaks down. A guy with a sense of humor. A guy who would help his neighbors and teach Sunday school but would never pose shirtless for a calendar. Sounds like the guy I married.

No comments: