Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Amazing Grace




I found out something interesting this am reading my newspaper's Bulletin Board column. I read it daily and occasionally send in my comments as "The MOM in Stillwater". My sister Carolyn who lives ten miles down the road from Lady Bird Johnson also shares her birthday. They were born on December 22nd, but years apart. Recently someone had written in the Bulletin Board about electronic billboards being enough to make Lady Bird Johnson spin in her grave. Many rose up to say "She's not dead"! Lady Bird still hosts an annual birthday party on Lyndon's birthday and invites the neighbors. Since I barely know the people on my block, I am chagrined by her hospitality to include people from miles around. I missed her face among the former first ladies yesterday at Gerald Ford's funeral. She has had a stroke and her health is diminished.


If you have ever visited Washington in the spring you probably noticed the mature azaleas blooming all over DC. Her project while first lady was beautification of the environment. She spearheaded flower planting projects and promoted legislation to decrease views of billboards and junkyards. I understand she loved the Texas wildflowers and was involved in replanting of those at home in Texas. Belated 94th birthday greetings to Lady Bird who has lived as a widow for over thirty years on the banks of the Pedernales . And to my sister who also has a love of Texas wildflowers, is a gracious lady like our former first lady, and faithfully teaches Bible study classes at her home encouraging everyone who comes to her with their problems, I'll dub you LBJ too (Lady Bringing Jesus.)


1 comment:

Mary said...

Mom- I'm so glad you are blogging. I am enjoying it. I like those flowers LBJ is surrounded by as well...