Tuesday, January 30, 2007

ANOTHER LAP AROUND THE TRACK...GO,GO,GO






This isn’t about exercise. I heard a segment on the radio this am about Life Coaches. Apparently this is an unregulated, unlicenced occupation. The host said some charge $100 -$200 an hour for their services. One organization requires some education and an online test. They also scrutinize one taped coaching session for the techniques used. It appears anyone can be a Life Coach if they can sell themselves and their services. There probably are many effective and wonderful people doing this. Aren’t you a little tempted yourself to furnish an office and hang out and shingle and start billing $200 / hr.? One of my son’s friend’s mother is pursuing this career. She is a successful lawyer, actually head of a large law firm. I wonder how much an hour she plans to bill. More than as a lawyer?

Jay Leno had a funny comment on Life Coaches. He mused, “Isn’t that what friends are for?” I think so, or at least mothers. Everybody get a grip here, can't we trust our own instincts? Pay for a Life Coach?

I am not against paying someone for counseling or therapy. There are situations where this is appropriate. There are professional psychologists and chaplains etc. who are very helpful to people in need. Maybe the rest of us could just stay on course using that time tested book left to us. Our previous pastor and his wife used the Proverbs to train their children. One chapter each day after dinner. Good practical wisdom for living. There are 30 chapters so it fit most months. As far as I can tell, their kids have turned out pretty well.
PS Day 15. -10 and did 10 laps.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Good for you!

I think of first ran into a "Life Coach" a couple of years ago when I took a "What do you want to do with the rest of your life" class. The 'instructor' was a life coach. I think it (the profession) kind of appeals to people (much like myself) who don't know what to do with themselves. Or would have been a pastor if the circumstances were different (i.e. they believed in an organized religion, or their church accepted women). I still eye the profession with caution. I think Jay's right. That's what friends (and even family :) are for. But again, if you pay for it you can distance the emotional connection. Huh. Kind of sounds like a prostitute. I didn't say that.

I'm sure they have their place in the right circumstance.