Thursday, January 25, 2007

I'M JUST DOING THE RAY GUN DANCE


STAR WARS REDUX ?

Newspaper reports of the military’s new “Nonlethal Ray Gun” caught my attention this morning. The ray gun (developed by Raytheon) shoots a beam that briefly heats the skin to 130 degrees. The receiver feels very uncomfortable or “as if they are about to catch fire” according to the Associated Press article. Apparently the military hopes this would be enough to make your opponent drop their weapon.

Things to consider before spending a bazillion defence dollars:

1. This has already been tried by Marvin the Martian fifty+ years ago. In spite of his ray gun he could not defeat Daffy Duck or Bugs Bunny in those Looney Tunes escapades.

2. Older females who have experienced menopause would be immune. We have hit 130 degrees frequently. My glasses would steam. Really. At least in my experience, this flash of heat never rendered me passive. Quite the opposite. I might have gone right for the enemies throat if they zapped me.

3. It wouldn’t work against Iraqi insurgents. They are already living in a climate that has 130 degree summers. Ask any soldier who has been in Iraq how hot that macadam is in the summer. Some of the local population still go barefoot on the asphalt.

4, It would probably make the international community nervous. Remember how the Star Wars program was received? Remember the Neutron Bomb? Could we get the remaining two Pointer Sisters to do a little song and dance about the new Ray Gun?

5. Sounds like it would contribute to further global warming.
In support of developing and outfitting our troops with massive
Ray Guns consider the following:
1. It couldn’t be a worse idea than allowing Tazer guns to be sold to the public. How do you feel about every bad guy—rapist, mugger etc having that in their arsenal?

2. I like the idea of a new song by the Pointer Sisters about a Ray Gun.

3. It would give us a step up in our defending ourselves against Aliens. The people in Roswell, New Mexico would understand. Think the movie “Independence Day”. We would be ready.

4. Remember this is a proposed non-lethal weapon. Mothers Against Military Madness would endorse it. I’m not sure how the NRA would feel but then I don’t care what the NRA says.

5 . I think Ronnie would like it.
PS. Day 10. I am still in the army. No AWOL. Walking laps like a rat in a maze is getting easier and faster. I also got a very good offer from Curves. 30% off and one free month. Want to start 1st of Feb. Keep good thoughts coming my way.

1 comment:

Mary said...

How do I even begin to comment on this one? You had me laughing at number one. Or before, as I hadn't heard about this yet, and it does have a comic book nature about it..And you caused me to use dictionary.com (macadam).

I think you got something with the song...Let's start a mother daughter act. Or, you can compose lyrics as you do your laps. And start singing for your compatriots. Just a thought.

Keep on keeping on. You'll be my inspiration to do the same.