Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Like a Bat Out of Hell




I don't even understand mountain climbing. Thrill seeking is not my game. The people in the video seem reckless to me. I think our Minnesota astronaut, her name escapes me, could have used this bat suit to chase her lost tool case. How embarrassing to have the world watching and not secure your $100,000. tool bag on a tether during the spacewalk. She used good judgment not going after it. Remember the scene of the spaceman floating away forever in "2001; A Space Odyssey"?

Women usually overcompensate when they do a traditional "man's job". I'll bet she has regrets but hope she just accepts it as a screw up. She was heading a team that was doing some home improvements up there. They were fixing the plumbing and installing a new refrigerator. Since nothing weighs as much as it does on earth, it seemed a reasonable task for a woman. She could lift the frig in a weightless space capsule, couldn't she? At least she only lost the tool bag. It might not have been optimum to have a loose refrigerator orbiting up there. Space junk, indeed.

No comments: