Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mush


There is a biblical principle; "Whatsoever a man (woman) soweth, that shall you reap" that is tried and true. I quote it in King James English because it sounds more authoritarian. In plain English is says; What you did is going to come back to you.

When I was a kid I was an extremely fussy eater. I got two of those back (fussy eating kids). I hated oatmeal. I don't think I ever tasted it, I just hated the way the gluey, slimy stuff looked. My mom made oatmeal for my sister Carolyn. I preferred Malt-o-meal. I made it to 63 without eating oatmeal. Finally, those health gurus got to me. We bought a box of steel-cut oatmeal. Jon cooked it. Viola! Love the stuff. It takes 30 min. to prepare but was worth the wait. The next morning I made it. It turned out gluey and slimy. Repaid for past behavior? I strained off the extra thick liquid and ate it. Today I read the box. Cook UNCOVERED. That is the secret. It turned out the correct consistency and tastes great with Splenda and no milk. Don't want to make it slimy again.

I wonder if my mom cooked her oatmeal with the cover on or off???

Now I have another world to conquer. Canned spinach. I have never even tasted canned spinach. Never was tempted to be like Popeye. I couldn't get past the smell. I love fresh spinach and eat it if I cook it myself, but can't deal with the canned stuff. Too smelly and slimy. Do they cook it with the cover on?

No comments: