Sunday, May 20, 2007

28 Hours and 10 Juan for dinner and beer ($1.20)


Jack is not the star of this drama. (Think 24) . First word from #3 son came with the morning email. His odyssey of travel from Mpls. to Beijing took 28 hours. A couple of days ago I blogged about the difficulties getting out of town and how they would go to LA -Tokyo-Beijing. Well they all went to LA. When they got there, Andy found out everyone but him had a seat on a plane to Tokyo. It took another four hours to get him on Al Nippon airlines to Tokyo. I'll bet he was remembering he had been offered a first class seat to Beijing, but declined so they could travel as a group. Oh well, he did get to Beijing. The trip took 28 hours in real time. They are traveling backward in time zones and across international date line so I don't know what it would be by the clock and date, but he was very tired.

If that had been me, I would still be sleeping in the hotel after arrival. They went to Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City and climbed the Great Wall. He says the food and prices are great. Everything is always compared to other travel destinations by the price of beer! He remarked the entire city is under construction. I had heard China is booming in the big cities and if you had visited Beijing ten years ago you would not recognize it.

If it weren't for the long flight, I think I would be facinated going there too. I wouldn't have said that 40 pounds ago, but am amazed how much better I feel and can move. I planted my vegetables and annual flowers yesterday on my knees. That is something I thought I would never do again. I had written off the knees and back as aging and disability but I can even run now. Yeah. There is more to go and hopefully that will happen.

This afternoon is daughter Mary's graduation. I am glad the college scheduled that event indoors. It is cold and cloudy. Way to go Mary. You did it. Big smile from the MOM.

No comments: