Saturday, May 5, 2007

Moving on Up, or Out, or Down

My dear friend Barb wrote yesterday with an update on their home addition. They have the “roof off the place” to add a second floor new bathroom and enlarge existing bedrooms. She is happy they will have the new space, but stressed with construction noise.
Barb and I were roommates years ago. We shared dorm space and shared two apartments in the years following graduation. As junior students we had a rotation for three months to the Veteran’s Psych. Hospital in St. Cloud. This meant we moved every three months that year. We also had to pack up every summer and head out. Barb just kept her boxes under her bed to facilitate the moving. I don’t think the moving was that easy for Barb with this construction project.
We have a bit of a mess to anticipate at the end of the month. The carpeting will be replaced and a new wood kitchen floor installed. This means we have to move a lot of furniture somewhere. The somewhere depends on the weather that week. It would be fairly easy to put things on the deck. It would be less convenient to move everything into the garage or downstairs. Keep your fingers crossed for sunshine..
This seems like a good time to aspire to simpler living. When I eye the books, DVDs, CDs, glasswear,dishes etc on my shelves and cabinets, I wish I could put it all in one box. Some day it may be a necessity to lighten up. I should be grateful for now it is just an option.

No comments: