Friday, May 25, 2007

Pomp and Circumstance

My last blog was about celebrating at Mancini's after Mary's graduation. The following story was in the BB of the paper this am. Mary should have kept that cap and gown on.

What is right with people?
Or: The kindness of strangers
Reports icunurs of West St. Paul: "Last Saturday, I graduated from the College of St. Catherine.
"My family took me out to dinner at Mancini's in St. Paul. I decided to wear my cap and gown into the restaurant. I told my family: 'I only get to wear this one day, and I am going to wear it all day!' (One of the advantages of being over 50 years old is that you get to do the things you wouldn't dare do when you were in your 20s.)
"Anyway, people were greeting me with 'Congratulations!' and smiling, shaking my hand as we passed their tables. But the best acknowledgment of all came when the bill arrived, because someone had anonymously paid $100 of it. What a wonderful surprise.
"Thank you to that person, and thanks to all who congratulated me on my special day."

No comments: