Tuesday, April 10, 2007

THE LAST LPN

I received some very sad news today. One of my former co-workers in the ER was killed in a car accident on the way home from work yesterday. His name was Maynard and I worked with him the last ten years of my career.
Maynard was an LPN hired to work night shift about ten years ago at our community hospital. When I was night supervisor he worked under my supervision. As years went by the ER went to an all RN staff. Maynard was "grandfathered" in. He was a very competant nurse and I encouraged him to pursue an RN associate degree. He already was capable of doing the work, he just needed the credentials. Maynard had been a medic in the Army and also an EMT on the western Wisconsin ambulance service where he lived. Instead of pursuing his RN, he studied to be a paramedic. This was probably more difficult and did not pay as well . Doing it on a volunteer basis he was only paid for the actual hours called to duty. He did believe in serving. At the end it was his friends, the volunteer paramedics and EMTs who came to his rescue after the accident. He was conscious initially and I am sure that was a comfort to him.
Some memories come to mind of very stressful shifts almost on "tilt" working in the ER. I always felt like we had it covered if Maynard was my partner.
He was a big guy who usually brought Slim Fast for lunch but succumbed to the treats we had stashed in the back room. I described him as a "teddy bear" and that fits. Patients loved him. His co-workers had a hard time outworking him.
I am sure his wife and son are in shock. In his 50's, he was cheated out of a leisurely retirement and they have lost his generous spirit.
I stopped up at the ED this afternoon with a bag of cookies. Maynard was known for bringing a bag of cookies on Tuesdays. I guess he sabotaged his Slim Fast too.
Many will miss him. So long soldier, nurse, medic and friend.

No comments: