Saturday, April 14, 2007

Recipes Martha Stewart Doesn't Want


I'm on a roll making homemade soup this week. Today I tried a recipe for Corn Chowder, or is it Chowda? I followed the recipe but couldn't resist tweeking it a bit. Big mistake. I added chunks of cream cheese. I should have softened it before adding it. It sort of curdled at first and with the creamed corn and kernels of corn looked like barf! Oh good. I have company for lunch and I am serving Barf Soup. Thankfully a little more time and dickering and it turned out fine. However, it is burned in my brain as Barf Soup.

Years ago, when our older three kids were growing up, they named one of my hot dishes Barf Hotdish. I never made it again. It was an escalloped corn with Swiss cheese and spicy bulk sausage. I had to agree with them on the name although I liked the taste. Kids are a little reluctant to taste something if it looks strange.

In case my sister, who is an excellent cook, feels superior I want to remind her what her oldest son Peter called her Minestrone. She made a great soup that had 2 inch chunks of Italian sausage floating in it. Peter dubbed that Poop Soup. I wonder if she ever made that again.

1 comment:

Rice said...

We tortured my poor mother growing up about her cooking. She was a great cook but it took me awhile to try new things.
I don't think "poop soup" can be topped.