Friday, June 5, 2009

Rock On, Rock Out


Wednesday a friend and I drove to New Glarus, WI. We followed the Great River Road which hugs the Mississippi. Beautiful day and a beautiful drive. Using a map and navigating together we made the trip without major mishap. We only made one mistake. We should have visited the Rock on the House instead of the House on the Rock. Simple error. One gets more hype. More publicity. This was my sixth trip to House on the Rock. It was her first. There is a lot to recommend about touring this Spring Green marvel but you come away with tired legs and sensory overload.


I have never seen the Rock on the House. It is combination man-made / natural wonder created when a boulder slide down the cliff and crashed into a dwelling. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2243 Amazingly, no one was killed. I think there is a free-will offering of a buck or two to see this display. House on the Rock is a little more expensive. House on the Rock employees challenged me when I asked for a senior discount. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? Must be 65. Maybe I should be grateful, but it was hard to pay $26 for the sixth tour of that museum.


Next time we go through Fountain City I may stop to visit the Rock on the House. I will see if they will give me a senior discount. It must be worth 50 cents or a dollar but one better keep a wary eye on those boulders above.

No comments: