Tuesday, May 5, 2009

In Search of the Real Brick Cheese


Our friends Dave & Sue love brick cheese and he had heard it was only made at one Wisconsin cheese factory in Comstock, WI. Turns out they don't make it there but do sell it. This cousin of Limberger cheese, AKA "stinky cheese", is so fragrant it comes double wrapped in foil and plastic. Our friends love the stuff. I have more pedestrian tastes in cheese.

I found the history online. It was developed by a Swiss immigrant in the 1800's. He wanted a cheese that was drier than limberger so he pressed it with bricks. That is why they call it Brick Cheese.

I still don't understand why anyone wants to eat something that you have to hold your breath to eat. I am told it is good with beer. I think that explains everything.



No comments: